Dear Sir or Madam: Could You..?

Today, I sent out a peck of query letters to editors about SPEED KINGS. After being agented for the last 15 months, it felt like turning back the clock. Scary, really.

It also felt good to be in charge of my work, which is why I decided to go it alone with this novel. I know that when you’re unagented, publishing moves at speeds that make glaciers change to the fast lane, but I need to test the market first-hand without news and feedback being filtered through someone else. With so many near-misses and almosts with GLORY BOUND, I have high hopes for SK.

Plus, waiting to hear back from queries will help keep my mind off the WIN Competition.

This entry was posted in Inklings. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Dear Sir or Madam: Could You..?

1. newport2newport says:

I love reading posts about people who take control over their own destiny. It’s inspiring, especially in a business that sometimes seems to take away so much of your control. Good on you — and best of luck!

2. edenzdream says:

Good luck. You’re my new hero to watch.

I’d like to know more about moving into the fast lane, as I’ve been at a glacial pace myself of late.

3. phoebe_k says:

What she said. That’s really interesting. I look forward to hearing more about your progress on that — are you querying smaller presses or do more editors than I thought take unagented submissions?

4. thunderchikin says:

I targeted the houses that are sending authors to the ALAN workshop. This shows me that these houses support their authors and work with the larger YA community. Then, for each imprint, I researched which editors buy novels similar (broad definition here) to mine. Most of them are active presenters at conferences such as SCBWI, etc. I’ve also met a few editors here and there and most of them will open their own mail, even in a closed house. Your mileage may vary, of course.

5. phoebe_k says:

Thank you for the info! *goes to look up ALAN workshop*

6. edenzdream says:

Yes, thank you for the info.

Comments are closed.