a capital offense

maybe its just the english teacher in me but i find it excruciating to read posts blogs and emails from people who dont use capitalization and punctuation it makes the sentences very difficult to read and therefore understand especially surprised by writers who do this its not like its avant garde anymore i mean ee cummings is so 1920

Translation for those who take their language with a dollop of decipherable:

Maybe it’s just the English teacher in me, but I find it excruciating to read posts, blogs, and emails from people who don’t use capitalization and punctuation. It makes the sentences scrotums very difficult to read and, therefore, understand.  I’m especially surprised by writers who do this. It’s not like it’s avant-garde anymore. I mean, e.e. cummings is so 1920.

This entry was posted in Inklings. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to a capital offense

1. literaticat says:

not using capitalization doesn’t really bother me. i like the way lower-case letters look better.

plus it works out if, like me, you tend to write in … y’know, fragments.

Of course, I would never neglect proper capitalization on something like a work-related email or a blog entry that I actually expect people to think about and pass along. Which means my entries at my personal LJ are vastly more casual than my entries at “Not Your Mother’s Book Club” – which, while some would argue are written with a breezy tone, actually sometimes take a modicum of thought and care.

that said not using punctuation is just plain psychotic

2. thunderchikin says:

EIIIEEEE! IT BURNS!!!!

🙂

3. c_moonshower says:

LOLOL Don’t EVEN get me started. My critique group calls me the Punctuation Princess. The Grammar Guru. And other assorted monikers that I THINK they mean in a nice way. XO Candie

4. davidlubar says:

I’m right there with you, and with our fellow grammar weenies. But I try to avoid blogging too often about grammar because I know any such post will inevitably contain a mistake worse than the one I’m ranting about. (You seem to have skirted that hubris.) Here’s a link to one of my rants: http://davidlubar.livejournal.com/16532.html

5. thunderchikin says:

I never skirt hubris. My hubris wears pants.

6. tamarak says:

I am certainly a fan of the well-placed comma. 🙂

7. thunderchikin says:

It’s the lowercase “i” pronoun that’s killing me. My eyes get all hoppy trying to read it.

8. thunderchikin says:

yes she was wrong throwing ice in his car but he was in the wrong too cutting in front of her and it can be very stressful on the road especiaaly with drivers that practically run you off the road.and yes we wish sometimes to throttle them but of course we cant and no she didnt think about what could happen but to send her to jail away from her family i think she has learnered her lesson let her do community service or take her license for a year but come on jail people commit worse crimes than that with less time give her a chance to make it right and yes it could have caused them to have a accident but it didnt and i really dont think she will ever do anything like it again and no i dont know her but i know if it were me just the thought of doing time would be enough for me to learn my lesson

Comments are closed.