Hopping and Hoping

One of my favorite pre-school memories is cooking Jiffy-Pop on the stove. First, unwrapping the pan with the little wire hand and a swirly of aluminum foil on top. It took forever to get it to pop, but when it did, man! The popcorn forcing the foil up like metal cocoon until it was about to explode, and then when you open it, all that fresh-popped corn tumbling into the bowl. Um. Um. Um.

Although the microwave has done in old-fashioned Jiffy-Pop, and though my crowns don’t like husks very much and I have to pass on the popcorn, once in awhile, like today, I get to relive the thrill of things popping right and left. Even when there are a few duds at the bottom.

This entry was posted in Inklings. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Hopping and Hoping

1. idaho_laurie says:

Jiffy Pop was one of the few things I was allowed to cook by myself. I loved the foil turban.

2. dlgarfinkle says:

They still make JiffyPop! We made it last summer over the fire pit when we were camping. The kids were totally thrilled. They’d never seen anything like it!

Um, to clarify, my three siblings and their families and my mom and my cousins and some friends get a huge campsite at the beach every summer and pitch their tents. Hubby and I join them– sort of. We spend our days on the beach with the relatives and then our nights in a motel with air conditioning and a bathroom.

3. davidlubar says:

You must be a better cook than I. When I made it, it always burned.

4. keep2dacode says:

yep, they still make jiffy pop. I bought some last summer and my daughter thought it was “really cool”. 🙂

5. professornana says:

I saw Jiffy Pop at Target yesterday for $1 a pop (HA!). But since, like Lubar, I always burned it, I settled for an ICEE.

PN

6. thunderchikin says:

You weren’t supposed to burn it?

7. professornana says:

Not in this day and age of smoke alarms, I’m afraid. And then what use would the microwave be?

8. thatgirlygirl says:

YUM! We had one of those air poppers for a while, but before that we popped the corn in a pot on the stove. We were cheapskates, so Jiffy Pop was out of the question, but YUM… panned popcorn was so much better than microwave for some reason.
    t