tagged me for this meme. It was fun because it made me think.
1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?
Paperback. Hardcovers are unwieldy to hold, and I like to read with one hand. Hardcovers are for collections.
2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it…
Barnes & Noble. Just kidding. Cup & Chaucer.
3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is…
From “Araby” by James Joyce, which is a story, not a novel: “I lingered before her stall, though I knew my stay was useless, to make my interest in her wares seem the more real. Then I turned away slowly and walked down the middle of the bazaar. I allowed the two pennies to fall against the sixpence in my pocket. I heard a voice call from one end of the gallery that the light was out. The upper part of the hall was now completely dark. Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger.”
4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be ….
Living: David Lubar
Dead: Robert Cormier
5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be…
The first Harry Potter.
6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that….
Is one sheet of electrostatic media that can store entire books but feels like paper.
7. The smell of an old book reminds me of….
8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be….
Aragon from Lord of the Rings.
9. The most overestimated book of all times is….
There are so many….Huck Finn? Any novel by Dickens? I’ll go with The Scarlet Letter.
10. I hate it when a book….
Author excuses poor dramatic structure (such as having major characters disappear for no reason) by claiming “that’s what happens in real life.”